The first time you have your period can be confusing and embarrassing. It can even be scary. It’s normal to feel that way. The great thing is, there’s someone very close to you that has already gone through it. Someone that can answer your questions. Your mother (or another trusted older woman).
We understand you might be shy talking about this. So we’ve put together 5 questions to help you get started.
- What is happening to me? You probably want to know why you’re bleeding down there.
Mama might say: It is just a sign that you are growing up. And that every month your uterus (also called the womb - this sits near your stomach) will shed it’s lining. That lining is the blood that comes out of your vagina during your period.
- How do I keep clean? You don’t want to bleed all over everything. You need to know how to take care of yourself during this time.
Mama might say: You need to use a sanitary pad or period cloth. These should be changed regularly like every 4-6 hours and try to take a bath at least twice a day
- How long does it last? You will want to ask about how long and how often this is going to happen?
Mama might say: It normally would last 3- 5 days , but for some girls it can be up to 7 days.
- Is anything else going to happen?You might already have noticed some changes in your body. You need to understand what they are and if there are any more coming
Mama might say: You might feel some cramps around your stomach area, and you may get some pimples on your face, a mood change and craving certain foods are also normal
- Are there things that I can’t do while I’m on my period? There are all sorts of stories out there about what you should and shouldn’t do. Get the real koko from your mum (or a trusted older woman)
Mama might say: As long as you have proper protection you can can carry on with your activities as normal.
We know you will probably have a lot more questions. These are just some ways to start the conversation with your mum (or a trusted older woman).
Want to read more inspiring stories like this one? Then head to our Springster Facebook page and connect with a community of girls just like you! - https://www.facebook.com/heyspringster