As teenagers, spending our free time with friends is a cool thing to do.
Sometimes, hanging out makes us feel all grown up. And this makes sense. The older we are, the more activities we are allowed to be part of. We are allowed to do more things when our parents and guardians are not around.
For you, hanging out can mean going to a party with friends.
For others, it can mean going to an eatery or visiting a new mall.
Most of the time, it’s harmless fun. But sometimes it can be unsafe. Things can get out of hand and beyond our control. This is why parents and guardians worry about us going out sometimes. We need to show them that we can make the right decisions to stay safe.
We can be safer by remembering the tips below. Especially if we’re hanging out with a boy
- Try to hangout in groups like if you’re meeting a boy take a friend along - tell him to bring his friends too and make it a fun group activity like hosting a picnic or a fun match.
- Avoid isolated places. Try to always meet friends in places where there are other people who can see or hear you. This will ensure you have help if anything goes wrong. Your hangout place should also be a place where you are free to leave and get home safely and quickly if you need to.
- Don’t drink alcohol when you are 18 years old or younger. This is illegal in Nigeria. Taking Illegal drugs will put you in a lot of danger even if you are just holding them for someone you can be charged. Avoid being around people who do drugs or want you to do them too.
- Tell your parents/guardian where you are going, who you are going with and when you will be back
- Don’t go off with strangers. Even if you meet them with people you know.
- Don’t leave home without a phone or money to make a call if you need to.
- Never be alone with someone who has been drinking a lot or taking drugs.
- Never get in a car with someone who has been drinking or taking drugs.
- Don’t leave your drink or food unattended when in public.
Have you ever found yourself in an unsafe situation? How did you handle it?
Do you have other questions on how to have fun in a safe way? Talk to us in the comment section.